Do you ever get the feeling that the walls are caving in on you? Well I had that feeling today. After a clear up after Christmas last weekend and taking down the decorations, I thought the house would seem a littles less cluttered. It turns out that just taking down Christmas decorations and a bit of hovering doesn’t actually get rid of the clutter though. So today, I looked around our house, feeling quite claustrophobic and finally accepted that we just have too much stuff.
I am a BIG hoarder. I like to keep things ‘just in case’. The problem is though that those ‘just in case’ moments rarely happen. As a result, we (or I) have collected a lot of things that we no longer use or need. Examples of these include:
- 2 prams – our children are now 4 and 6. Don’t think we’ll need those anymore!
- 2 high chairs – as above!
- Baby bottles – err, as above again
- A baby steriliser – think you get the problem here…
- A gazillion books – mostly read. Some I will definitely keep but the vast majority I’m unlikely to ever pick up again
- 3 pairs of old jeans for decorating – I won’t tell you the last time I picked up a paint brush!
- Old towels that I’ve kept for absolutely no reason whatsoever
- Shoes galore
- A mountain of paper work
- And the list goes on…
Just reading that list makes me realise how much we need to have a big clear out. So my mission over the next month is to completely declutter the house. From paperwork to old clothes, nothing will be left untouched. I’m feeling a bit daunted by the prospect but I have no doubt that a less cluttered house will be a good thing for all the family. Wish me luck! Any hints or tips much appreciated 🙂